LANE OF PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA.
No. 132. LANE’S EXTENSION-TOP SOCIABLE.
Hub February 1877.
Messrs. D. M. Lane & Son, of Philadelphia, were represented at the Centennial by this handsome carriage, and while our drawing is made as nearly correct as possible, we will remark that this is one of those illustrations which, when reduced to paper and in a side view, do not do full justice to the carriage, owing particularly to the impossibility of representing the turn‑under, which contributes so much toward the attractive appearance of a carriage with deep door.
The following dimensions were furnished us by the builders, and we return our thanks for the same: Width of body over all, 50 inches; ditto at back, 41 inches; ditto at front, 41 inches. Width of dickey‑seat, 35 inches. Turn‑under, 3 inches. Wheels, 3 feet 4 inches and 4 feet. Track, 5 feet 2 inches, out to out. Hubs, 5 inches. Spokes, 1 3/8 inch. Rims, 1 ½ inch. Tires, 1 1/4 x 3/8 inch. Axles, 1 3/8 inch. Mail patent, 8 inches long in hub. Springs, 38 inches long, five plates, 1 ½ inch, No. 2 steel. Fifth‑wheel, 28 inches in diameter, D‑wheel in form.
Painting.-‑Body; green; carriage‑part, green, striped with a broad line of black.
OBITUARY D. M. LANE.
Carriage Monthly January 1883 page 232.
We gave a brief notice in last month’s issue, of the decease of Captain D. M. Lane, the well-known carriage‑builder of Philadelphia. The following are a few points in his life and business career. At the age of 16 years he apprenticed himself as a blacksmith to his two brothers, then carrying on the carriage business in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, under the name of E. Lane & Co., who, in 1846, removed to Philadelphia and opened the first carriage factory west of the Schuylkill. In 1850, he with a brother purchased the business of his two brothers which he continued but a short time, when the brother died. The same year his brother John became associated with him, and in 1852 removed to 3406 Market street, and opened a repository at 1907 same street; the following year they again removed their factory to a large building erected back of their salesrooms. In 1856, Mr. Lane withdrew from the firm and commenced the business in Chester, Pennsylvania, where he remained until August, 1857, when he sold out and removed to St. Louis, intending to open a factory there; the outlook being bad he returned to Philadelphia and re‑opened the factory at 3406 Market street. In 1861, during the late war, and while still carrying on at this place, he raised a company of 100 men, and was made captain of company B, 29th Pennsylvania Volunteers. His business requiring his attention, he resigned September 19th, 1862, two days after the battle of Antietam, and returned home, and afterwards served over two years as provost Marshall of the fourth district. In 1867, the large three‑story brick, 80 by 105 feet, was erected on the present site, 3432 Market street. In 1874, he took Mr. Millard F. Lane, his son, into partnership with him, when they continued adding to their works until now the crowning of all was the erection of another large three story brick building in connection with the others, and an elegant repository on Chestnut street, thus giving them sufficient room to meet the demands of their growing trade. They had completed their idea of a model factory and were beginning to enjoy its advantages when this sudden death robbed them of a father and a business companion. The carriage trade and the Captain’s many friends in the fraternity, extend their sympathies to the bereaved family.
Plate No. 31. FOUR-IN-HAND COACH.
Carriage Monthly July 1883.
The Messrs. D. M. Lane’s Sons, of this city, recently finished a four‑in‑hand traveling coach for Colonel Frank Coxe, of Charlotte, North Carolina, Vice‑President of the Western North Carolina R. R., a gentleman noted for his interest in sporting matters, that deserves special mention on account of its unique appearance and originality in design, being, as we believe, the only coach yet built of its kind. The weight is but 1,800 pounds, and it was finished in less than two months time. The illustration of this coach; 5/8‑inch scale, appears on our fashion pages of this number.
The construction of the body is after the mail‑coach pattern, with some few changes, although of lighter dimensions; in fact, all lumber, iron and other weighty material throughout the entire job being dispensed with that could be done without impairing the wearing qualities of the vehicle. No change is made in the shape of the front boot, except the wheels are of the regulation height, and, turning completely under the body, necessitates raising the cut‑under of boot considerably, the turn as a consequence being much shorter than in the regular mail‑coach. Under the seat, near the foot‑board, a lid is provided for the purpose of ventilation, inside of which is space for the storing of packages, &c. The break passes through the front boot, and is covered in such manner as not to interfere with its working properly. A hatchet is also attached to the side of the boot for use in case of emergency; a large leather pocket for the storing of necessaries is on the left hand of the inside of the boot.
The lower side‑quarters, front and back, are of full round shape, with two horizontal moldings dividing the body from the lower and upper quarters. While the lower horizontal molding does not pass over the door, the upper one runs from the main front to the main back molding, 2 ½ inches below the fence‑rail, the distance between the two moldings being 5 ½ inches. The glass‑frames in the doors are made to drop level with the fence‑rail. Upper side‑quarters have movable slat shutters, back and front, giving the coach not only a light appearance, but also forming a contrast very pleasing to the eye. These shutters, when desired, can be lifted out and stored in the boot, where suitable receptacles are found for them.
The back boot is also of the regular mail‑coach shape, except being raised a trifle for the purpose of giving sufficient space for its suspension, guided by the diameter of the wheel and the opening of springs. The back of the boot has a lid over its entire back surface, hinged at the bottom and locked each side of the boot on top of the lid. This lid is supported by two chains which hold it in a horizontal position, enabling it to be used as a lunch‑table.
The finish of the inside of the body is specially adapted for both traveling and sleeping purposes. When arranged for traveling in the sitting position, the seats have the appearance of a regular coach with everything stationary, but when it is desired to rest or sleep in a reclining position the backs of the front and rear seats are placed down flat, and the space between the doors filled in level with the seat by a board, the receptacle for this board and its cushion being in the front of boot, the time occupied in making this change being but two minutes. In case the weather is very warm, the front and back lids can be opened, and a refreshing draft of air is obtained through the entire coach.
There is a material difference in the suspension of this job from that of the generality of such work, and considerable originality is displayed. The front is hung on a coach‑platform gearing without a perch, two elliptic springs and two straight wooden beds and fifth-wheels, with 13 3/4‑inch circle front and 28‑inch circle back, the king bolt 3 ½ inches front. The splinter‑bar is straight and movable, and the swingle‑trees fastened on short leather straps, the futchels also straight. The suspension of the back is by two half side‑springs and one cross‑spring, the front head of side‑springs fastened to the body. The brake is ingeniously arranged, and very effective. The suspension of the body from the ground to the bottom of rocker is 26 inches, folding‑steps 18 inches from the ground.
The painting is as follows: Body, black; rocker, carmine. The boot‑front has an imitation of 2 inches painted carmine and forming a blind molding; front brackets, foot‑board and raise of boot also carmine, the lower panel of boot and edges of foot‑board black. The molding of carmine on the front is continued toward the back. Gearing, carmine, striped one 11/16‑inch line of black, as are also the flats and front faces of spokes. Folding steps, back steps, brake and band of hubs, black. Slat‑frames in upper quarters, front and back, these frames being dark, and the slats of lighter color, and all are simply varnished.
The trimming is of rep goods, fawn color, with lace to match. Outside for foot‑rest, linoleum, fastened stationary, bound with light-colored leather, the side‑steps on the body being finished in the same way. The carpet inside is in squares with figures, a shade darker in color than the trimming.
Mountings, brass; bull’s‑eye lamps, with small square glasses on the sides; straight handles.
Col. Coxe will use his coach during the summer at his country place, Green River, Rutherford Co., also at Acheville, in the mountains of North Carolina, the great summering resort of the cotton states, recently opened up by the completion of the Western North Carolina R. R. In the autumn Col. Coxe will return to his Spruce street residence, in Philadelphia, and use his coach in the park and on the road.
Plate No. 37. PHILADELPHIA FOUR‑IN-HAND COACH.
Hub August 1884.
The mail coach or “Tally Ho,” as it is sometimes called, after Col. Kane’s popular vehicle, is now fairly domesticated in America. The first coaches used here were imported from England, and later from France, but it was not long after the appearance of the first imported coaches that several leading carriage manufacturers in this country began building them to order; and today American‑built Mail Coaches are quite equal, if not superior, to those of foreign make.
The Coach represented in this number was recently completed by Messrs. D. M. Lane’s Sons, of Philadelphia, and is the second one built by that firm. The first they made was for a gentleman in North Carolina, which showed several departures from the “regulation pattern,” the body having a wheel‑house for the wheels to turn under, and windows being placed in the front and rear upper quarters, provided with Venetian blinds; while the body was hung on a coach gearing, having two elliptic springs in front, and platform springs behind. The Coach illustrated in the accompanying Fashion Plate was built to the order of Mr. E. Rittenhouse Miller, of White Oak Farm, Germantown, Philadelphia. In outward appearance, it does not differ from the regular Mail Coach, but it is very light, and has capacity for carrying thirteen persons comfortably, all on top of the Coach. Several noteworthy changes have been made in its construction, as compared with others of similar pattern, but these do not so much affect its outward appearance as its interior arrangements. The most noticeable variation is in the doors, which do not extend to the bottom of the top‑rail, but are made of two halves, the upper part being stationary, and the panel, forming as imitation of a stable shutter, being glued into the pillars and fastened into the pillars first, when both pillars are afterward inserted in the body at one time. This arrangement allows of making the standing and door‑pillars very light, no glass‑frames being necessary. The making of the door in two halves will not permit of placing seats in the interior of the Coach, and the interior of the body is therefore utilized merely for storage purposes. Arrangements are also made so that, when on a pleasure expedition, a continuous table may be formed from front to back, which is still further lengthened by gates at the front and back boot‑panels, which, when turned down, are on a level with the bottom of the body. This is accomplished by concealed hinges, made similar to those used for the front lid of a Brett. For a better illustration of this novel feature, we introduce the accompanying detail view. See Fig. 1.
It will be observed in this Coach that the two seats on top of the body face one way, which is another noteworthy change from the usual mode of construction. To effect easy entrance to the rear seat, the top is left entirety open, the bottom for the rear seat of the body coming on a line with the front and back boots. The back seat is divided at the middle, and one part is raised to admit passage to the back seat. The lazy‑backs are supported by four uprights, provided with knuckle joints, which permit the backs to be turned down when not in use. The lazyback for the back seat is made of two parts, and is turned up when the seat‑board is raised.
No rocker‑plates are used on this Coach, and they are not deemed necessary, in view of the peculiar construction of the upper part of the body. A heavy panel is inserted at the upper part of the door, between the two standing‑pillars, and by lowering the roof or top to a level with the top of the front boot, additional frame‑work is required, which, it is claimed, gives the body sufficient stiffness and strength without the use of rocker‑plates. This vehicle, after being ironed, was put to a severe test, and realized all expectations in this respect.
An iron step‑ladder is provided, to assist ladies in mounting to the seats. This ladder is made of three pieces, and, when not in use, can be folded together and suspended by hooks under the hind seat. We introduce three detail cuts to show the construction of this ladder.
Fig. 2 presents a side view of the ladder, showing the full length, and dotted lines indicate the same when folded up. Fig. 3 represents a front view of the same; and Fig. 4 a top view, and the step of the body, combined.
The brake is worked by a lever reaching up to the top of the driver’s seat, and is placed on the inside of the boot, in such position that the working of its different portions will not be interfered with by packages or articles placed in the boot. As a further means of arresting the speed of the vehicle when going down hill, an iron shoe is provided, attached to a chain by a hook, to be placed in front of the hind wheel.
The Coach is further provided with a basket for the storage of umbrellas and canes, and the indispensable coach horn, fastened to the rear seat, and inclosed in a case made of pigskin. The interior of the body is furnished with the usual appurtenances belonging to such a vehicle.
The running‑part consists of front and hind axle‑beds, a bolster in front, regular futchels for the reception of the pole, two outside futchels, a perch, and two futchels at the hind axle. Its construction requires considerable skill in laying off and making, especially the hind gearing; and to do it properly, careful working drafts should first be made of both the side elevation and top or bottom view. The futchels for the hind gearing follow the sweep of the perch, and should be carefully pricked off to secure a correct job. The front gearing is provided with a stiff draw‑bar and evener‑bar. The evener‑bar is for purposes of draught, and is provided as usual with two whiffletrees. The stiff-bar is mainly intended for the convenience of passengers in mounting to the driver’s seat. The fifth‑wheel is 26 inches in diameter, and placed in front of the axle‑bed. At the back of the axle‑bed a wooden slide is introduced, having an iron plate on top. This slide follows the circle of the fifth‑wheel a short distance outside of the inner futchels, and is then swept so that the ends form a concave‑convex sweep with the center part. The extreme ends are finished off with a scroll. A stop is forged on the top plate of the back slide. Mail patent axles are used on this job, and they are let into the axle‑beds within ½ inch from the bottom surface.
The full‑size working drafts of the body and gearing from which this Coach was built, were prepared by Mr. John G. Hahn, foreman in Messrs. D. M. Lane’s Sons’ body‑shop, and Mr. Hahn also made the calculations for the interior arrangements of the body, etc. The blacksmithing was done by Mr. Robert Lutes, who also deserves credit for the skill with which he performed his part of the task.
Dimensions.-‑Width of body on top, in center, 50 in,; ditto backs, 44 ½ in.; ditto dash, 39 ½ in.; ditto front seat, 43 in.; ditto seats in center, 60 in.; and ditto back, 48 in. Turn‑under, 3 in, Height of wheels in front, 3 ft. 5 in.; and hind, 4 ft. 1 in., without tire. Depth of rims, 2 in. Size of spokes, 2 in. Number of spokes, 12 and 14. Stagger of spokes, ½ in. Hubs, front, 7 ½ inch; and rear, 7 3/4 in. diameter. Front bands, 5 ½ in.; and back, 6 1/4 in. diameter. Length of front bands, 2 ½ in. Length of hubs, 10 in. Tire, 2 x ½ in. steel, round edge.
The front springs are platform. The side‑springs are 27 in. long, from center to center, with 4 in. set over all. Width of steel, 2 in, Number of plates, five, namely: all No. 2, steel. The cross‑spring is 45 in. long, from center to center, with 5 in. set over all. Width of steel, 2 in. Number of plates, eight, all No. 2 steel. The hind springs are platform. The length, set, width of steel, and number of plates of the hind springs are like those on the front springs. The springs are clipped to the bolster axle‑bed and bars. Axles, 1 3/4 in., mail patent. Track, 5 ft. 4 in., from out to out.
Finish.‑-Painting of the body, lower quarters and door‑panels, ultramarine blue; upper quarters, boots and moldings, black; upper part of the door, English patent yellow. The rockers and running‑gear are painted with English patent yellow, with a broad stripe and two stout lines of black at a distance. Outside trimming, plain throughout. The material for the cushions, backs and falls is pigskin. Instead of a carpet, linoleum is used, lined with light‑colored leather. The interior of the body is not trimmed. Mountings, brass.
Plate No. 80. EIGHT-GLASS COACH.
Carriage Monthly January 1886.
We illustrate with this plate one of the latest styles of eight‑glass coaches, made by D. M. Lane’s Sons, of Philadelphia. The appearance and finish of this coach is very pleasing, and shows artistic finish in style and workmanship. The shape of the front and back corner pillars has a full round appearance, which looks well on this body. The lower outside side quarter moldings have considerable raise, as have also the belt rails, the latter being raised at the corner pillars 1 1/4 inches each end. The side glasses front and back follow the belt‑rail sweep, which is the style at present. The front window is made to drop; the outside measure of the frame is 16 by 26 inches. Depth of panel from the top edge of front to the frame is 6 ½ inches. The back window for the outside measurement for outside frame is 14 ½ by 24 inches, made to drop level with the fence‑rail, giving 7 inches from the top edge to frame for depth of panel. All the glass frames are made of mahogany, filled in and varnished only, which is very attractive. The swell of the body is in proportion with the convex turn‑under, which looks well, and is a considerable change from the convex‑concave shape. The boot is different in outlines from those published by us of late, and looks well. The dickey‑seat rail is also of different design, making a full round sweep, quite a change over those made for the same kind of work at present. The suspension is the same as usual; elliptic springs with French open heads front, full fifth‑wheel futchels for pole and stiff draw‑bar. The back springs are coach platform, and the pump‑handles of the latest shape. The shape of the springs front and back is regular, and the
usual sizes for steel, but they are very elastic and of good motion. The steps are of the stirrup half round shape and covered, the door handles of the latest style, and the lamps square beveled‑edge glass and ornamented; also a four‑in‑hand watch at the front inside.
Painting.‑‑Body: upper panels, moldings and boot, black; lower panels dark blue, moldings striped around the edges a fine line of yellow, including the upper part of door. Carriage‑part: dark blue the same as the lower panels of the body, striped yellow, one 3/8‑inch stripe in the center, two fine lines each side, 3/4 inch apart.
Trimming.‑‑Blue cloth throughout. The backs are both made in the block‑and pipe design, over woven wire, and are finished with plain tufts. The side squabs, and also the back and front, are made in diamond style, with plaits, and have silk broad lace as a finish around the top. There are two cushions for each seat, each having block designs and 9 buttons, with broad silk lace fronts and cut lace welts. The falls are stiff, and have broad lace around the edges, fastened to the seat‑rails. The door panels are of new style, and look very pretty. The top lining is also of blue cloth, representing
rays, with a rosette in the center. The rockers are covered with plain blue carpet, with lace binding. Dickey‑seat trimmed with cloth, perfectly plain, over wooden frames. Two driving cushions. The skirt is straight, about 3 inches wide, finished with a 3/8‑inch half-round brass molding.
Plate No. 57. BREAK.
Carriage Monthly October 1887.
This break was designed and built to order by Messrs. D. M. Lane’s Sons; of Philadelphia, and was exhibited by them in the Constitutional Centennial parade, September 15th last, together with Washington’s coach, their floats being emblematic of the progress made in carriage‑building in 100 years. The two vehicles attracted much attention along the route; being the two extremes in design and age. The construction of the body is the same as all bodies of this kind; straight rockers from front to back, with frame work and panels glued over. For first‑class work the frame work is filled up with ½‑inch thick panels over the entire side surfaces, and also for drop foot‑board back; this is done to keep the panels from sinking in between the frame work. The gear is of unique construction, and looks well on this vehicle; the suspension is on four elliptic springs, 41 ½ inches from the floor. The break has double action, and is one of the most powerful on account of the long leverage. This break was drawn the opposite of the usual rule, having the front of the carriage to the right, so as to show the lever for the break.
Painting.‑‑Body: black; driver’s seat above main panel, chrome yellow, striped ½‑inch line of black. Carriage‑part: chrome yellow, striped ½‑inch line of black.
Trimming.-‑Hog-skin. The backs are all trimmed plain, without any tufts or plaits whatever, they are finished with leather welts. The cushions are made with plaited block tops, leather welts; the facings being about 2 inches high; the front seat has a driving cushion made up soft. The tail gate, foot board and inside bottom are all covered with plain linoleum, to match the Hog-skin, which is a cream color. Mountings.‑Gold.
Plate No. 20. HIGH DOOR CURTAIN ROCKAWAY.
Carriage Monthly June 1889.
The characteristics and style of the high door curtain rockaway here shown, are copied from the well‑known firm of D. M. Lane’s Sons, of Philadelphia. It differs in many particulars from the rockaways we have before illustrated, the most important changes of which we will mention. The depth of the door panel from the belt‑rail to the rocker is 24 inches, the same depth as is given to brougham doors, and the belt‑rail is level with the second rail on the side quarters, and to avoid the heavy appearance, a molding connecting with the door moldings is put on the side quarters. The appearance of the finished carriage is very good. The bottom door joint is 1 ½ inches above the rocker, which is new on this kind of carriage. The doors are hung on plain hinges, and consequently the back standing pillars are only 1 ½ inches thick. The door pillars must have the regular thickness, because the glass frame must drop down in the berth. The rockaway‑front is very light, corners in angular passage rounded (no sharp corners); sides of seat very low to cover the side surfaces of the cushion, and bracket‑front molded as shown. The iron rails are nearly on a level with the belt‑rail. The division‑front is movable, and the glass frame drops level with the fence rail.
The body is suspended on three full elliptic springs, one front and two back, 26 inches from the floor; bent perch, half fifth‑wheel, 16 inches outside diameter.
Painting.-‑Body: black, also rockaway‑front, or the entire surfaces of body can be painted deep green, and the rockaway‑front. black; moldings on body and rockaway‑front striped a fine line of light green. Carriage‑part: deep green, striped two 3/16‑inch broad lines of light green, and two fine lines 3/8 inch apart of the same color.
Trimming.‑‑For the front and inside of body, green cloth; cushions and backs made up in squares; 7/8‑inch raisers for falls. Carpet deep green, with light green figures.
Plate No. 58. BUGGY.
Carriage Monthly November 1889.
With this plate we illustrate the latest style in piano‑box bodies, made by Messrs. D. M. Lane’s Sons, of Philadelphia. There are some important changes that should be specially noticed. The side panels of the body are 7 3/4 inches deep, being rounded both ways; raisers 3 inches deep. The side panels are molded, as illustrated, with diamond‑shaped moldings, 3/16 inch square. The raisers have grooved down ovals, being grooved down only 1/8 inch deep, and the corners of the oval are well rounded. The shape of the raisers, front and back, are concave, although they have usually been made concave front and straight back. They are paneled on the back with a 5/16‑inch panel, and turned spindles on the sides. The seat rail is light and the corners slightly rounded, as are also the moldings on the back panel. The body is suspended on side‑bars and Brewster springs. The gear has two bent perches, 12‑inch fifth‑wheel, and light, well curved scrolls on side‑bar ends.
Painting.-‑Body: black. Carriage‑part: carmine, striped two 1/8‑inch lines of black, 5/8 inch apart.
Trimming.-‑Blue cloth. Back finished with a 2 1/4‑inch roll, blocks, and three rows of buttons up and down, and five across. Buttons drawn only slightly down. Cushion‑front stiff, finished with ‑inch raisers. Fall slightly stiff, and finished with 7/8‑inch raisers, 1/4 inch from its edges. Back and cushion edges bound with black leather. Carpet, blue, with light blue figures. Mountings.-‑Silver.
Plate No. 86. BROUGHAM.
Carriage Monthly March 1893.
With this plate we illustrate the Brewster brougham, manufactured by D. M. Lane’s Sons, coach and carriage builders of Philadelphia. The style and dimensions are the same as the original, and it is considered one of the largest made. It is 48inches long on the belt; depth of door panel, from bottom surface of rocker, 34 inches, and from belt to fence rail, 2 ½ inches; the lower back quarter is 24 inches long, and 17 ½ inches deep. The size of boot is calculated for a 5 feet 2 inches track from out to out, and consequently is designed somewhat longer than for the usual narrow track. The great increase in the depth of the lower quarters and doors has reduced the size of the upper part of the body to such an extent, and has changed the appearance in such a manner, that the former styles, which are the reverse as regards the sizes of upper and lower side quarters, look as if they were a half century old. The scroll coupe pillars, which have been so extensively made by most carriage builders, seem to be on the decline, but something else must be introduced which is as pleasing and novel, before the scroll coupe pillars can be discarded. The coupe pillar, as illustrated in this plate, has been made by Brewster & Co. since the introduction of this style, and will be continued until something better, and even more pleasing, will turn up.
Painting.‑‑Body the deep greens which have been in vogue for a considerable length of time, have been partly replaced by deep blue, but as this color does not wear as well as the deep greens, the blue has not come into such general use as the greens. Nearly one half of the heavy work for last Fall’s trade was painted deep green for the lower quarter, and black for the boot and upper quarters. Doubtless some changes will take place in painting heavy work for the Fall trade, because new colors and striping will be exhibited at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago by first‑class builders of this and foreign countries, and coach builders will adopt to a great extent the shades and colors in painting and striping which seem the most artistic, and take the popular fancy at Chicago. The color and striping fashionable at the present time, is for lower side quarters and back panel, ultramarine blue; moldings, upper quarters and boot, black. Moldings on body striped on inside edges a fine line, of pale blue or fine line of lemon yellow. Carriage‑part: deep blue, striped two 3/16‑inch lines of pale blue or lemon yellow, 3/8 inch apart. Hub bands, black, and a broad stripe of pale green or lemon yellow on the hub back and front.
Trimming.‑‑Very few changes have been made in the material; the morocco skins have been gradually going out of fashion, and are replaced with either satin or cloth, but the cloth predominates; green cloth when painted green, and blue cloth when painted blue, but the drab is preferred for fine first‑class work. The upper part is either plain or tufted; the same holds good with the head lining. The back and lower squabs are generally a combination of blocks, half diamonds and pipes. The dickey seat is still made as before, with one large driving cushion. Lace finish is used for front of cushion and fall and first‑class inside work, and 7/8‑inch wide plain raisers for the dickey seat. On some work the lower corners of the falls are rounded, but it is not generally done. For the inside, plain carpet is used, bound either with cloth or leather. For the dickey seat linoleum or rubber mats are used.
Finish.-‑Glass frames; painted black and varnished, finished to a dead gloss, which is the present fashion. Some of the stable shutters are finished in the same manner, but many are still made by filling them in with wood filler, and varnishing them to show the natural grain of the wood to advantage. The inside fixtures, when trimmed with green and blue cloth, are either black or other suitable colors, but when trimmed with drab cloth, ivory or satin wood finish is used. The inside finish of broughams and coaches has been very elaborate and expensive, and electric bells are used on all first‑class work.
PRESIDENT MILLARD F. LANE.
For the first time since its organization, twenty‑one years ago, the Carriage Builders’ National Association has honored Philadelphia by making one of her carriage builders its president. Millard F. Lane, who was chosen at Chicago to wield the gavel in the Convention of 1894, at Saratoga, is the senior member of the firm of D. M. Lane’s Sons, of Philadelphia, who are among the foremost manufacturers of fine carriages in Philadelphia. He was born July 17, 1852, in West Philadelphia. Until he was 15 years of age he pursued the course of study prescribed in the public schools of his native city, and when he had passed the preliminary examination that entitled him to enter the high school, he was placed instead in a business college, where he received a thorough commercial training, and was equipped for the successful business career mapped out for him by his father, and which has been achieved in an eminent degree.
He entered his father’s factory January 1, 1868, and served four years at the different branches of the trade. By the time he reached his majority he had gained a thorough practical knowledge of the trade, and in 1873 he was admitted as a partner in the business established by his father the year before Millard F. Lane was born. The title of the firm became D. M. Lane & Son, and evidences of the new energy that had been injected into its conduct, and of the results of the aggressive and progressive methods employed, were soon manifested by a marked growth in the business. Within a year a repository was secured in what was then known as Concert Hall, and, managed by the junior member of the firm, proved so successful that the factory was, in a few years, unable to fill all the demands made upon it by increased orders. In 1882 a large addition to the works was built, and soon thereafter D. M. Lane died. A new partnership was formed between Millard F. Lane and his brother, D. M. Lane, Jr., under the title, D. M. Lane’s Sons, and the house continued its successful career. A new repository was opened on Chestnut street in 1887, but within the past two years the business has all been concentrated within their commodious establishment at Thirty‑fifth and Market streets, where they have a splendid factory and spacious ware-rooms. The establishment is recognized by fashionable purchasers of carriages as producing the highest class of carriages of the most correct style, and its ware-rooms are always sought for the latest novelties. Millard F. Lane is a carriage builder by heredity, and as such loves his business, and has studied hard to advance it.
He has been a useful member of the Carriage Builders’ National Association, and his services have been sought in important business. He was early honored by being made one of the vice‑presidents of the Association, and in 1887 he was chosen a member of the Executive Committee, upon which he has served with ability. Last year he was chairman of the Committee on Roads and Highways, a very important branch of the more recent work of the Association, and his report at the Buffalo Convention was one of the most important papers read at that successful meeting. Mr. Lane is a man of fine personal appearance, with a measure of dignity in his bearing that does not interfere with his frank and genial manners. He will fill the position with credit to the Association.
Plate No. 67. TWO‑PASSENGER PHAETON.
Hub March 1894.
Fashion Plate No. 67 illustrates a two‑passenger phaeton or buggy with a tub quarter and a low, full sweep rocker front. The body is hung very low for an elliptic spring perch job, and makes an exceedingly neat and tasty light carriage, built on lines in keeping with the drift of fashion upon heavy and medium work.
The deep panel is bordered with a narrow round edge molding, and both edges of the front pillar are finished with a narrow round molding. The dash has round ends and a horseshoe handle hole. The three‑bow top is made about the spread of an ordinary buggy top. The back is finished with a double panel.
Dimensions of Woodwork.-‑Width of body on top, 42 in.; and at bottom, 30 in. Width of seat on the rail in the clear, on the in side, 36 in. Length of body, 4 ft. 3 in. Height of quarter, 18 in. Height of wheels: front, 42 in.; and rear, 48 in. Depths of rim, 1 in. Size of spokes, 1 1/8 in. Number of spokes, 14 and 16. Stagger of spokes, 1/4 in. Front hubs, 2 ½ in. diameter; and 1 ½ in. long. Hubs, 3 ½ in. diameter, and 6 in. long. Distance between wheels, from center of axles, 52 in.
Dimensions of Ironwork.-‑Front springs, elliptic, 36 in. long,; from center to center, with 6 ½ in. opening on main leaf. Width of steel, 1 ½ in. Number of leaves, four. Rear springs, 38 in. long, from center to center, with 7 in. opening on main leaf. Width of steel, 1 ½ in. Number of leaves, four. Axles; front and rear, 1 in. Tire, 7/8 x 3/16 in. Track, measured outside to out‑side on the ground, 4 ft. 6 in, Diameter of fifth wheel, 12 in.
Painting.-‑Body, dark blue, black moldings, fine lined orange. Gear, dark blue, fine lined twin stripes, orange.
Trimming.-‑Blue cloth, corded and blind welt to front of cushion. Fall, blind welt; paneled quarters; plain back, diamond and pipe squab; joints bent.
Plate No. 11. SCROLL FRONT PHAETON.
Carriage Monthly May 1894.
This design is one of the latest styles of phaetons made by D. M. Lane’s Sons, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and was originated by them. The side quarters of body are very heavy, and suspended very high from the floor, which gives the vehicle marked characteristics when compared with low down phaeton bodies as made for a long time, and it must be regarded as a new departure in the style of bodies and in the suspension of two seat phaetons. Take the size of body for instance, the depth of side quarters 17 inches and its length nearly 24 inches, and body at its lowest part, 31 inches from the ground. This is something unusual in phaetons, and attracts considerable attention on the street. The length of the gear is 4 feet 9 inches, same as the regular scroll front phaeton, diameter of wheels 40 by 51 inches, three elliptic springs and scroll shackles in front and rear. Large dash with curved sides and handles, line rail, three bow top, cabriolet style, with curved fenders on bows.
Painting.-‑Body: deep blue, moldings black, striped a fine line of pale blue on inside edge of molding. Carriage part: deep blue, striped one line of medium blue and edged with a very pale blue line.
Trimming.-‑Drab cloth, style as shown in the cut; one foot rest and rug to match.
Finish.‑-Curved top joints; no lamps; plain handles on body and dash; line rail; branch shanks, and axle nuts silver plated.
Plate No. 32. SCROLL FRONT PHAETON.
Carriage Monthly August 1894.
Painting.‑-Body: deep green, striped a fine line of yellow. Carriage part: deep green, striped with two 1/8‑inch yellow lines, 7/16 inch apart.
Trimming.-‑Will be illustrated in the next number.
Finish.-‑Lamps as illustrated, and mountings silver.
MILLARD F. LANE.
Hub October 1894.
Millard F. Lane, President of the Carriage Builders’ National Association, who will preside over the Convention this month at Philadelphia, has the honor of being one of the youngest men selected by the C. B. N. A., for that honorable office. He is the senior member of the firm of D. M. Lane’s Sons, carriage builders, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and is the first from that city to hold the position of the Association’s president. He has long been an active member, but from sheer force of habit has held himself in the background, though serving upon the executive and other important committees, and has always devoted his energies to the welfare of the Association. He was born in Philadelphia, July 17, 1852, and on reaching manhood, after having acquired a fitting education, entered the factory of his father, the late D. M. Lane, and soon worked himself to the front as a carriage builder. He is an energetic, painstaking business man, to whom work is a pleasure, and well deserves the honor that his associate members of the Carriage Builders’ National Association have accorded him. In social life he is equally popular, and his fitness and ability have led to his connection with various local organizations. He is a member of the Union League, Presbyterian Social Union, Trades’ League and the Philadelphia Bourse; he is also a trustee of the North‑Broad‑st. Presbyterian Church. In accordance with the custom of the Association, an Eastern member is elected president whenever the Association holds its meeting in an Eastern city, and as Philadelphia will receive and entertain the Association, it is but fitting that a Philadelphia man should preside over its deliberations.
Mr. Lane represents the younger progressive element of the carriage trade. He is alive to the wants of the industry, and recognizes the importance of keeping the product up to if not ahead of the times. As this year’s meeting will be one of more than usual interest, because of the long and trying period of dullness, and the changed situation in the industrial world, it will require the control of the element such as Mr. Lane represents.
We anticipate a great meeting at Philadelphia, and we have faith in the president’s tact and business knowledge in bringing out the views of the assembled members, so that the carriage trade can speak in unmistakable words regarding the present and future of the industry.
TRIMMING FOUR-PASSENGER TRAPS.
Observed in the Warerooms of D. M. Lane’s Sons.
Carriage Monthly August 1895 page 143 and September page 174.
The lining is of a variety of colors and material, and some of it is new to the carriage trade, having been used this season only, and is of a deep gray. For private use an iron rail, same as on a dickey seat, is preferred; front cushion split half length back, left cushion made all with nine buttons; box under driving cushion, 2 inches deep front and 4 inches deep back. Soft driving cushion, three rolls; sixteen buttons, four rows and four buttons in each row, and made up concave to make the seat more comfortable to occupy. The fall has two raisers, 5/16 inch half‑round beads, 1 1/8 inches apart, 1 inch from its edges. The fall is bound with top leather, while all the rest is bound with tan‑colored leather. The iron rails are 3/8 itch thick, same finish as on d dickey seats for heavy work, same skirts‑of patent leather, square corners, and finished with a brass molding in the center. Three‑bar dash, with triangular hand holes, covered double with patent leather, rubber mat, plain lamps, and one strap over front cushion and one over driving cushion.
Another passenger trap is suspended on four elliptic springs, light gear, bottom bed straight, but king bolt ahead 4 inches; straight draw bar and front wheels turning under the body. The finish on front seat same as on a dickey seat, lined with cream‑colored corduroy throughout. Double rail on right side, and half back on left side, one cushion over the entire seat, finished with 1‑inch raisers, and blocks 3 ½ inches apart. Soft driving cushion, four buttons on back and sides; sixteen buttons on top, four rows, and four buttons in each row. Driving cushion and back bound with basting lace, a few shades darker than the lining. One strap over the cushion on front seat and two straps crosswise over the driving cushion. One roll under cushions, front and back; falls set back of cushion, and finished with 1‑inch raisers, and its edges bound with black top leather. The back seat is it regular phaeton seat, plank side quarters, 20 inches deep back, two rows of buttons, eleven each; Blocks top and bottom, and pipes in center 8 inches deep. Heavy carpet, and color a trifle darker than the lining; plain lamps and leather fenders.
Four‑passenger trap suspended on three springs, high wheels front and turning against the body. Lining, corduroy of a soft cream color. Front cushion made in halves, driving cushion, and to turn over. Both cushions are made up alike, nine buttons for each, 1‑inch raisers, and edges bound with the same material. The backs for both seats are made up in two rolls each, and driving cushion, same finish as the others explained above, except five rows of buttons and five buttons for each row. The color of buttons is a few shades darker than the lining. Straight three‑bar dash, with rail as illustrated. The rail as illustrated is original, and side rail on seat corresponds with the dash rail. We illustrate both the dash and seat rails, as both have a very attractive appearance. The bottom line of body has a cut‑under 1 3/4 inches deep, same shape as the seat rail, except the cut is opposite with the seat rail and harmonizes well together. The dash is straight from side elevation. The carpet is dark gray, body painted black, yellow gear striped black, and flange lamps.
The entire seat rail is silver plated, and also the center part of dash rail, while the rest of the rail is black.
The surreys are trimmed similarly to the traps, except lining, which is dark and of a finer texture than the corduroy; stick seats front and back, full low backs, being 19 inches from seat to top, and suspended on two full elliptic springs. The cushions are both made in one, 1 ½‑inch rolls under cushions, and all bound with the same material except falls, which are bound with black top leather; driving cushion same finish as explained above. Curved leather fenders on back seat, curved three‑bar dash with side handles, oval flange lamps, and carpet a few shades darker than lining. The finish of the two full backs is of blocks, 4 inches square on top, 7 ½‑inch pipes, and nine buttons for each row.
The four‑passenger phaetons are lined with blue cloth, and its edges for back and cushions are bound with the same material, except falls which are bound with black top leather. The backs are low, that is they are low when compared with those of other houses. The upper row has 4‑inch blocks, 7‑inch pipes, and the rest blocks; full cushions, back and front, made up in blocks, and 1 1/4‑inch rolls under seat. The seat rails are trimmed with a very light roll, and at seat frame it connects with the roll under seat and is mitered on each side of the seat. We illustrate the seat roll to show the lightness of the trimming. The body has pump-handles framed to the body, and is suspended on three springs.
We illustrate in connection with this phaeton a new style of fall, finished with two 5/16 inch wide beads, 3/4 inch from its edges and 1 inch apart. It is an improvement over the old style. These phaetons have also driving cushions made up in the same style as the others. Carpet, deep blue, bound with leather. Sexagon lamps, long stems, cylinder style; long fenders back, but they do not connect with steps, and no fenders front. Grate step, oval shape and one shank Only. The two‑wheelers have the same finish, and are lined with same material as the traps, except those special styles which this house has designed and built for their own trade.
This house has built also several styles of omnibuses; the largest carries thirteen or fourteen passengers, and is exceedingly well finished and very attractive. The heaviest one is lined on outside seat with deep brown tan‑colored leather, and the inside with mouse colored cloth.